Geocachers of the Rochester Area Forum Index Geocachers of the Rochester Area
Promoting a quality geocaching experience in the Rochester, NY region

HomeHome   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cache "permanence"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Geocachers of the Rochester Area Forum Index -> Ask Sapience Trek!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mom-n-Andy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Cache "permanence" Reply with quote

I understand that caches published on geocaching.com are supposed to be "permanent", i.e. not travelling or event caches.

Is it possible for an owner to disable a cache during the winter months and enable it again in the spring? For example, the cache is not winter accessible and the cache owner is not able to maintain it during the winter (and may in fact remove the cache temporarily during winter months). The cache would be permanent from year to year but not available year round.

I apologize if this has been asked before. I scanned the previous posts and didn't see this question.
kkhill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess it is... because I know Abandoned Bridge's owner disables it during the winter months, and puts it back up in the spring, when he deems it safe enough conditions to go back after it.
Bruce

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have caches like this in the Titusville area too.
ACE-357

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a cache at Southtown Plaza that moved for the winter. I assume the owner will un-archive the summer location (GC1Q5H8) and archive the winter location (GC1ZCQV)) in the spring. This situation was complicated by the fact that the summer cache disappeared shortly before the CO was going to move/replace it anyway, but I imagine the new cache will go back next spring to where it was in summer 2009.

I assume the summer cache had to be archived rather than disabled because of the proximity rule.
dakboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACE-357 wrote:
There is a cache at Southtown Plaza that moved for the winter. I assume the owner will un-archive the summer location (GC1Q5H8) and archive the winter location (GC1ZCQV)) in the spring.
IIRC, COs can't un-archive caches. Once they're archived, they're done. I think the Southtown caches appearing & reappearing are more to give people new caches to log finds on.

To answer the OP's question, there's at least one cache in Cohoes along the Mohawk River that gets disabled for winter as well, for the same reasons as Abandoned Bridge.

My reading of the "permanence" guideline is that Groundspeak doesn't want a constant churn of caches in a small area, as that would be a lot of work for reviewers and encourage a "just to get the smilies" mindset. Plus, I think if I saw a lot of "now you see it, now you don't" cache activity I'd be less inclined to go looking for caches in that area/by that hider.
sapiencetrek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache "permanence" Reply with quote

Mom-n-Andy wrote:
I understand that caches published on geocaching.com are supposed to be "permanent", i.e. not travelling or event caches.

Is it possible for an owner to disable a cache during the winter months and enable it again in the spring? For example, the cache is not winter accessible and the cache owner is not able to maintain it during the winter (and may in fact remove the cache temporarily during winter months). The cache would be permanent from year to year but not available year round.

I apologize if this has been asked before. I scanned the previous posts and didn't see this question.

Yes, but I'd ask that you consider doing that only if the area is truly closed to people in the winter (roads closed, park closed, etc ...) If you think the cache cannot be accessed in the winter because of snow, I'd leave it enabled and make sure you check off the appropriate attribute saying it may not be winter accessible.
Captain Jon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, No offense to anyone, but why do people other than ST answer questions directed to ST? Personally - I only care for the answers that ST gives as they are usually the only answers that have meaning..
Novac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be happy that Rochester has a nice, active forum Cool
sno_man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Cache "permanence" Reply with quote

sapiencetrek wrote:
Yes, but I'd ask that you consider doing that only if the area is truly closed to people in the winter (roads closed, park closed, etc ...) If you think the cache cannot be accessed in the winter because of snow, I'd leave it enabled and make sure you check off the appropriate attribute saying it may not be winter accessible.

I guess I'm a little confused on this, because I've seen at least 2 "Christmas" themed caches, one here and one in the Albany area, which are typically only around for two months, maybe three at the most.
Wheelygood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Cache "permanence" Reply with quote

sno_man wrote:
sapiencetrek wrote:

I guess I'm a little confused on this, because I've seen at least 2 "Christmas" themed caches, one here and one in the Albany area, which are typically only around for two months, maybe three at the most.

See ST's thread: caches on geocaching.com - there is no cache precedent.

I also have heard once a year the lackeys get packages of swag from groundspeak and the more caches that a reviewer reviews, the larger the package.

Of course anything sent to ST would have to work for a left-handed person.
sno_man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Cache "permanence" Reply with quote

Wheelygood wrote:
Of course anything sent to ST would have to work for a left-handed person.

Now THAT is funny!
Mom-n-Andy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pm'd Sapience Trek for clarification. The cache I have in mind just wouldn't be feasible in the winter.
Frank Broughton

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novac wrote:

Hey I try to help my Central NY buddies out too....
Jeep-O-Caching

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Broughton wrote:
Novac wrote:

Hey I try to help my Central NY buddies out too....

Central?! Next you'll be saying we're "somewhere near NYC" ... Smile

Everybody got to elevate from the norm - N. Peart
$
boots...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mr. Boughton was referring to the Syracuse area as Central New York ... which, if memory serves is what they call themselves. Novac correctly referred to us as the Rochester area.

.tread lightly.

Every Step of the Journey Is the Journey.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Geocachers of the Rochester Area Forum Index -> Ask Sapience Trek! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: