Geocachers of the Rochester Area Forum Index Geocachers of the Rochester Area
Promoting a quality geocaching experience in the Rochester, NY region

HomeHome   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ask the reviewer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Geocachers of the Rochester Area Forum Index -> Ask Sapience Trek!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sno_man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: reserving a spot? Reply with quote

TazD wrote:

I'm no ST, but .... blah blah blah

Ok, Tazience Trek.
sapiencetrek

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: reserving a spot? Reply with quote

TazD wrote:
c-fire wrote:
Hi ST,
I was wondering if it was possible to reserve a location for a hide for a short time (like 2 weeks). I was scouting out a location for a hide but now I see a new one has been placed nearby so no longer can do it. This particular one is no big deal. However, I'm working on a complicated 4 part puzzle multi and would absolutely hate to lose the spot I have picked out for the final location. TIA.

I'm no ST, but my understanding is that when caches are reviewed for publication that any caches "in process" are also checked for proximity conflicts. I believe that whichever cache has the earlier GC code will be given priority over the other cache. If there is an earlier cache, ST will check with the earlier cache owner to see if they intend to go forward with the publication of the cache. If it is something that will take a reasonable amount of time to get completed that is normally okay.

The key is to get the cache page started with as many of the coordinates as you know. If somebody else tries to publish a cache which results in a proximity issue ST will contact you about it to see what you plan to do.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
unclejr1986

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: reserving a spot? Reply with quote

sapiencetrek wrote:
TazD wrote:
c-fire wrote:
Hi ST,
I was wondering if it was possible to reserve a location for a hide for a short time (like 2 weeks). I was scouting out a location for a hide but now I see a new one has been placed nearby so no longer can do it. This particular one is no big deal. However, I'm working on a complicated 4 part puzzle multi and would absolutely hate to lose the spot I have picked out for the final location. TIA.

I'm no ST, but my understanding is that when caches are reviewed for publication that any caches "in process" are also checked for proximity conflicts. I believe that whichever cache has the earlier GC code will be given priority over the other cache. If there is an earlier cache, ST will check with the earlier cache owner to see if they intend to go forward with the publication of the cache. If it is something that will take a reasonable amount of time to get completed that is normally okay.

The key is to get the cache page started with as many of the coordinates as you know. If somebody else tries to publish a cache which results in a proximity issue ST will contact you about it to see what you plan to do.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I think TazD might be holding something back from us about his true identity.
Novac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: reserving a spot? Reply with quote

TazD wrote:
I'm no ST

Hey, that's proof positive right there! You're all crazy!
sno_man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Ressurecting an old cache Reply with quote

I was just in the area of "Rear View Mirror Cache" (GC3EDC) today. I got to reading the logs and the recent problems that resulted in it being archived a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, the cache owner appears to either be no longer in the area or has lost interest in the game. They also apparently did not respond to multiple requests to have it adopted.

Is there a way for somebody to adopt it now that it has been archived? Is there some other way to re-activate it with a new owner?

This is a very interesting location, worthy of a cache. However, another person could not place a new cache here - under the current guidelines, it would be too close to "PEZ cache" (GC3EE0). It is apparent from your reviewer logs that it pained you to have to force it to its demise. It would be nice if there was some way to reactivate it under new management.
sapiencetrek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting an old cache Reply with quote

sno_man wrote:
I was just in the area of "Rear View Mirror Cache" (GC3EDC) today. I got to reading the logs and the recent problems that resulted in it being archived a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, the cache owner appears to either be no longer in the area or has lost interest in the game. They also apparently did not respond to multiple requests to have it adopted.

Is there a way for somebody to adopt it now that it has been archived? Is there some other way to re-activate it with a new owner?

This is a very interesting location, worthy of a cache. However, another person could not place a new cache here - under the current guidelines, it would be too close to "PEZ cache" (GC3EE0). It is apparent from your reviewer logs that it pained you to have to force it to its demise. It would be nice if there was some way to reactivate it under new management.

Caches are never unarchived for the purposes of adoption. There are various reasons for this, but the one that sticks to mind is in the past people have pestered owners of archived older caches in order to get the lower GC number for whatever purpose they have in mind.

In this case, the cache could not be unarchived even if requested by the original owner as you said, it is too close to another existing cache. It must have been published before the proximity guideline was put into place. Unarchiving a cache results in the cache running through the review process all over again, so it loses any sort of grandfathered status it might have.

I never like archiving older caches, as there is definitely some history that is lost. There was a traveling cache in the Rochester area I archived earlier in the year because the owner was no longer maintaining it by updating the coordinates as it moved. I didn't like archiving that one either as there are very few traveling caches around.
sno_man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting an old cache Reply with quote

sapiencetrek wrote:
Caches are never unarchived for the purposes of adoption. There are various reasons for this, but the one that sticks to mind is in the past people have pestered owners of archived older caches in order to get the lower GC number for whatever purpose they have in mind.

In this case, the cache could not be unarchived even if requested by the original owner as you said, it is too close to another existing cache. It must have been published before the proximity guideline was put into place. Unarchiving a cache results in the cache running through the review process all over again, so it loses any sort of grandfathered status it might have.

I never like archiving older caches, as there is definitely some history that is lost. There was a traveling cache in the Rochester area I archived earlier in the year because the owner was no longer maintaining it by updating the coordinates as it moved. I didn't like archiving that one either as there are very few traveling caches around.

Kinda figured as much, thought I'd ask anyway.
sno_man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Railroad tracks Reply with quote

The cache listing guidlines prohibit "... caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks." No problem, makes sense. How can we know for sure that a set of tracks is inactive? I'm thinking of a particular set of tracks that were only used for an industrial facility that is now closed. As long as the facility remains closed, the tracks would never be used. Does this mean the tracks are inactive, and therefore a cache could be placed near them?
sapiencetrek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Railroad tracks Reply with quote

sno_man wrote:
The cache listing guidlines prohibit "... caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks." No problem, makes sense. How can we know for sure that a set of tracks is inactive? I'm thinking of a particular set of tracks that were only used for an industrial facility that is now closed. As long as the facility remains closed, the tracks would never be used. Does this mean the tracks are inactive, and therefore a cache could be placed near them?

Best thing to do is ask the person you got permission from to place the cache there. They would probably know. But the general rule is, if tracks are still in place, they can be put back into service at any time. This happens all the time all over the country, but there are obviously cases where tracks have been out of service for so long they are unlikely to see Thomas the Tank Engine again.
Mom-n-Andy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Possible to check location of new cache? Reply with quote

I would like to set up a mystery multicache with the final in a small park that currently does not have any listed caches. Because it will take quite a bit of work to prepare the "mystery", I'm wondering if it's possible to find out ahead of time whether the final location would be acceptable. A cache used to be in this park, but it is physically gone and it has been archived for more than 3 years.

This would be my first cache and I'm not sure of the process.
sno_man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Possible to check location of new cache? Reply with quote

Mom-n-Andy wrote:
I would like to set up a mystery multicache with the final in a small park that currently does not have any listed caches. Because it will take quite a bit of work to prepare the "mystery", I'm wondering if it's possible to find out ahead of time whether the final location would be acceptable. A cache used to be in this park, but it is physically gone and it has been archived for more than 3 years.

Most parks would be considered public property and should be OK for a cache. That being said, however, with the smaller town and village parks, it is best to ask the municpal parks people ahead of time. I have encountered some very friendly people in the local town offices, and many of them are already familiar with geocaching. A quick phone call or stop in and flash a nice smile and explain your purpose, and you can probably get permission easily.
sapiencetrek

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Possible to check location of new cache? Reply with quote

Mom-n-Andy wrote:

You can always write up a cache with the coordinates of your waypoints and submit it with an appropriate note indicating you want a pre-check of the location.

I'll check the coordinates and other information I have and let you know.

You, of course, are responsible for making sure you have permission to place the cache there.
Mom-n-Andy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the info!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Geocachers of the Rochester Area Forum Index -> Ask Sapience Trek! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: