Geocachers of the Rochester Area Forum Index Geocachers of the Rochester Area
Promoting a quality geocaching experience in the Rochester, NY region

HomeHome   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poll 65: Have there been too many puzzle caches recently?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Geocachers of the Rochester Area Forum Index -> Weekly Poll
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have there been too many puzzle caches recently?
Yes
56%
 56%  [ 28 ]
No
16%
 16%  [ 8 ]
Doesn't matter
28%
 28%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 50

TazD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Poll 65: Have there been too many puzzle caches recently? Reply with quote

It seems like the Rochester area has always had a high density of puzzle caches. Lately, there have been quite a few of them published. So, what do you think? Have there been too many puzzle caches recently?
tber1981

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.
chilehead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many for me. I like a nice mix, but it's higher lately. I just want to go for a walk rather than spend even more time than I already do on the computer.
kodiakwoodsman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puzzles are kinda fun to solve when the weather isnt ideal for cacheing or to pass the time while its dark out but some of the puzzles that are around are just way to ridiculously hard... Others, like my new one, are just hard enough to be interesting lol
savingfish

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kodiakwoodsman wrote:
Puzzles are kinda fun to solve when the weather isnt ideal for cacheing or to pass the time while its dark out but some of the puzzles that are around are just way to ridiculously hard... Others, like my new one, are just hard enough to be interesting lol
I thought I was the only one who felt this way, nice to know I'm not alone!
Mom-n-Andy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such thing as too many puzzle caches.
kodiakwoodsman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mom-n-Andy wrote:
There is no such thing as too many puzzle caches.

MnA and SOM are the only ones who have answered No there arent too many puzzle caches...
Captain Jon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't matter. I do what I can, tag along for some, or just don't bother with others until they become closest to home. Enough in area for all to be happy.
Sabrefan7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of the blue question mark at all. I avoid them like LPC's P&G's or any thing that involves stealth. Dosent matter to me how many are out there though. Every one plays the game differently. Ill take a box in the woods or an old cemetery any time.
savingfish

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabrefan7 wrote:
Not a fan of the blue question mark at all. I avoid them like LPC's P&G's or any thing that involves stealth. Dosent matter to me how many are out there though. Every one plays the game differently. Ill take a box in the woods or an old cemetery any time.
Exactly
Team GeoGriffin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted "Doesn't Matter". I think I may be lumped in on the Puzzle Lover side of the spectrum, but I really live by the "Different strokes for different folks" mantra. I definitely enjoy puzzles more than ciphers. For me (and depending on it's presentation), a lot of ciphers feel more like homework than fun. In my opinion a puzzle should be something to challenge you in a different way. It should also be entertaining. Actually it's probably more important for it to be entertaining rather than challenging, but I guess that could be said for any type of cache.
WAM86

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time I would like to know the motivation behind making the Puzzle caches.
Is it to entertain or is it to make it so baffling that only 3-4 people actually solve it, and everyone else get the answer from someone else, or like me, Track it down in the snow.

I can see an occasional Cipher puzzle, or guess what I am thinking puzzle, but that gets old fast.

Then there are the Night caches, when was the last one put out? Halloween?
Or an offset cache, answer the questions, get the coords... simple and fun.
Now, Rushrutters new one was not unique, but was FUN and different, a welcome challenge. It even had a C-Fire ammo can at the final!

Like the old saying goes, "Variety is the spice of life." If were going to have all these ?? caches, lets at least make them fun and different.
But then again, I am not very good at Cipher Puzzles, so they are not as fun for me as they are for others.
Mom-n-Andy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll make you guys a deal. We 50-somethings with bad knees, bad hips, and acrophobia won't complain about "vertically-enhanced" caches if you won't complain about puzzles. If you don't like them, you don't have to do them.

As for motivation, I put out the kind of caches I like to find. I assume that everyone does that. I base mine on fascinating true stories (The Uncrackable Cdoe), interesting books (Cipher Challenge) or really weird interesting things I run across on the internet (Lolcache). And sometimes things that are intended to surprise and/or delight finders (Nalah's Cache, Max's Cache) or just to try something that hasn't been done (Buddy System).
kodiakwoodsman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted my new cache as an "unknown" cache because while there are a bunch of different places you may, or may not, need to visit to get the information needed to get the coords it really isnt a multi because each one does not give you the coords for the next stage it simply has information posted there... I plan on pretty much only hiding caches that I really like to find so I dont see to many more "unknown"s in my future but I do plan on placing kayaking caches and caches that would make a good snowshoe or that are a challenging hide. All you puzzle and cipher caches please just remember that there are only so many Vigenere or Ceasar ciphers that you can do before it just gets boring... And all the traditional hiders need to remember that park and grabs and ammo cans in a tree gets kinda old too... get creative and ya never know you might be amazed at the quality caches that will come out...
Sabrefan7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mon & Andy . I think most hide what they like to find. I used to Pee and moan about they typs of hides out there. New folks find lots of micros to start out and then hide some too. No big deal. I would bet the vast majority of cachers evolve as they go along.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Geocachers of the Rochester Area Forum Index -> Weekly Poll All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: