Geocachers of the Rochester Area Forum Index Geocachers of the Rochester Area
Promoting a quality geocaching experience in the Rochester, NY region

HomeHome   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poll 53: Would you switch jobs to something geocaching ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Geocachers of the Rochester Area Forum Index -> Weekly Poll
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If you could make the money work out, would you switch careers to do something involved with geocaching?
Yes
81%
 81%  [ 18 ]
No
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 22

TazD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Poll 53: Would you switch jobs to something geocaching ... Reply with quote

This question comes by way of a conversation I had recently with Team GeoGriffin. We were discussing how cool it would be if we could get paid to do something geocaching related. If you could make the money work out, would you switch careers to do something involved with geocaching (i.e corporate team building using geocaching, start a geocaching store, create a geocaching app/website/magazine, work for "the frog")? We all like to go out caching, but would it still be fun if it was involved with our full-time job?
sno_man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My job already pays me to geocache. They just don't know it.
Of Course I Found It

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote no.

If I did that I would have to spend more time with you people -- and you people suck.

LOL

I have found a physical Cache in these states -
chilehead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of Course I Found It wrote:
I vote no.

If I did that I would have to spend more time with you people -- and you people suck.

LOL

Don't you know NYGO closed a while ago?
Peppermill 6-Pack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I would do it. I think I would still enjoy geocaching just as much. Same belief if I worked at an ice cream store...
AvonPaintball

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be trying to convince Groundspeak they need an intern for the next 10 months.
Of Course I Found It

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peppermill 6-Pack wrote:
Yup, I would do it. I think I would still enjoy geocaching just as much. Same belief if I worked at an ice cream store...

You getting a part time job??

Just remember -- your seat has limited space.

I have found a physical Cache in these states -
c-fire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. let's just say that as someone who has partially done it, it ain't all it's cracked up to be. I thought I (actually we, staceycakes has been a huge help) would work the geostore. I work at a high school, so I have summers off. Usually, I work summer school, but this year, I thought I would concentrate on my geostore that I started in the spring. (A store I started cuz, I found it difficult to find certain cache items at reasonable prices) I opened up a line of credit for 2K, put in another 1.5K of my own and here I am now. 2K plus another $200 into my overdraft account in debt. (Granted, some of it was definitely a stupid mistake on my part-I was bidding on multiple lots of cans, trying to get the best price and I ended up buying 2 lots instead of the one I wanted.) That left me pretty thin there, but as long as I sold cans, I'd have income for the summer. Anyway, I still have 6 or 700 cans in my back yard still, and I'm hoping my car that's being inspected tomorrow doesn't have anything seriously wrong with it.
Now that's just the business side. Other than a few spots here and there, I haven't really cached that much. I got to do the first 3 in the WTH series, but then the store took over. Seaway trail-next year. I got dozens of ideas for new caches and more popping in my head every week (1 today!) that haven't been placed (granted, I don't usually do a simple cache).

Now the good. I get to see a lot of geocachers. I find geocachers as a whole are really nice, good, honest people, not a lot of pettiness or outright crap. There's not many other groups of people that I can think of in my lifetime that meets that criteria. School-there's some politics and the other issues you find at work. Mine is currently not too bad, but could be better. Other jobs have been much worse. My volleyball world- whether it's the teams I play on or the volleyball officials I officiate with-lots of pettiness. The churches I've attended, no different. Other than one incident that involved the destruction (okay, thrown into an irretrievable place) of one of my very own ammo cans, I haven't heard of a whole lot of pettiness in geocaching. (I don't count the cache thieves as geocachers). Simply put, I love the geocaching community.
Oh, almost forgot, I got to see the OCB, the Original Can of Beans. (do a google search if you don't know-I'd never heard of it until it was in sitting next to me for 2 days.)
I've also got to add a few states to the caching map, that I probably wouldn't have gotten anytime soon. (though, I'm way behind on my logging!)

I'm not ready for school, but can't wait until it starts!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Geocachers of the Rochester Area Forum Index -> Weekly Poll All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: