Geocachers of the Rochester Area Forum Index Geocachers of the Rochester Area
Promoting a quality geocaching experience in the Rochester, NY region

HomeHome   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is lying allowed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Geocachers of the Rochester Area Forum Index -> Ask Sapience Trek!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACE-357

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Is lying allowed? Reply with quote

A cache (not in Rochester) has me really annoyed. It's a cemetery cache (I love those!), and the CO has clearly stated that the cache is OUTSIDE the cemetery. GZ was right on the edge of the gate to the burial ground, so I looked very carefully on the gate and outside. No luck. I was ready to post a DNF but then looked at previous comments, and several people indicated that the description was deceptive and that the cache is NOT outside the cemetery. Boy do I hate being lied to! Are people allowed to post things in the description that are deliberately untrue?
sapiencetrek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly in this case it may have been true at one time, and perhaps the cache was not replaced properly and it ended up getting moved from it's original spot.

I generally don't care what people say in their cache description, unless lying was done in order to get the cache published.

Cemeteries can be sensitive areas to place caches in, due to possible damage caused by cachers looking for the cache, and because of the image of seeing people play a "game" near where people's loved ones are. Lately more reviewers have been asking that caches be placed on the outskirts of cemeteries to minimize such problems, and it's possible somebody didn't want to move their cache and lied about placement. If this is the case, I'd encourage you to report it to whatever reviewer published it.
sno_man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is OK to be deceptive and misleading in a cache description if the owner wants to mess with people. Some people play the game that way. An outright lie, however, is wrong. Keep in mind what ST says though, that where you found the cache may not be where the owner placed it. I know I have had to go back to several of my hides and move them back to their proper locations. Some people are very bad at re-hiding caches.
scaryann

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have certain cacher that if the person logs one of my hides I go back after them to find the cache and put it back where I had put it in the first place. There have been very few that the person has put back where it belonged.
howieandjan

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we started out our caching in the Mt Morris area (not mentioning any names ) I was quickly brought to the understanding that all cachers lie ! And have tried to take that to heart for a couple of years now .And it seems to work ....
The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of Suck It Up & Move On, and crashed into We All Have Problems, before coming to a complete stop at Get the Heck Over It. Any complaints about how we operate, can be forwarded to 1-800-waa-aah
howieandjan

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But never lie to the reviewer or the property owner !
The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of Suck It Up & Move On, and crashed into We All Have Problems, before coming to a complete stop at Get the Heck Over It. Any complaints about how we operate, can be forwarded to 1-800-waa-aah
ACE-357

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me lies take all the fun out of a cache. Sure, go ahead and use an ambiguous word or throw in a red herring. But the descriptions, even if misleading to the unwary, should not contain out-and-out lies! We should be ethical even if we do it in a sneaky way IMHO. If the logs show that the cache owner has not played fair -- and, if some have suggested, the cache got moved, then the owner should have moved it back when a log alerted them to the problem -- then I'll probably skip that cache. I HATE being lied to!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Geocachers of the Rochester Area Forum Index -> Ask Sapience Trek! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: